The Gallery Assistant (GA) is responsible for sales in the gallery and serving as the first point of contact for visitors. The Gallery Assistant works with staff and volunteers as appropriate. This is an administrative, service-oriented position. Organizational sensitivity and teamwork are characteristics central to this position. Personnel policies for all Toe River Arts employees apply.
Bachelor’s degree is preferred with at least 3 years of administrative work experience. We will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience. Gallery Assistant must be able to work with staff, artists, volunteers, and community members. GA must be dependable, possess good people skills, organizational skills, and the ability to manage a varied workload. Computer and point of sales skills are encouraged. Employee must be able to take direction from supervisor, but also work independently.
Reports to: Gallery Manager
- Process all sales and keep proper daily records
- Reconcile daily sales
- Return and accept artwork from artists
- Follow gift shop inventory procedures
- Advise artists of customer referrals to their studios
- Accept and process membership applications and dues
- Maintain giftshop by cleaning, restocking inventory, and sweeping giftshop areas
- Staff front desk during special events as needed, which may include some evenings
- Assist with mailings
- Help install exhibits
- Other duties as assigned
- Reflects a positive attitude to customers, artists, staff and board members in person, over the phone or through email or social media.
- Attends monthly staff meetings as requested.
- Educates visitors about Toe River Arts, the gift shop, exhibits, area artists, and upcoming programs. Demonstrating how to use the iPad with toeriverarts.com capabilities
- Answers the phone in a professional and friendly manner, provides information, forwards phone calls to appropriate staff member and takes messages when appropriate.
- Serves as an advocate for Toe River Arts outside of work and keeps community members informed of relevant activities and programs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit and work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle or touch objects and tools. The employee is required to stand, walk, bend and must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 30 pounds. Employee must be able to speak clearly.
EEO: Toe River Arts is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Anti-Harassment: Toe River Arts expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Toe River Art’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gallery Assistant is paid an hourly rate of $8. GA is given a 10% discount applicable to both gift shop and gallery purchases.
Applicants should send resume and three references to executive director, Nealy Andrews.
Application deadline: September 7.